Saturday, March 13, 2010

new bedtime routine!!

So I was encouraged early on by several friends to get my baby on a "schedule." I soon realized that I didn't have the life style or personality to do what I had originally planned. I never regret for a second all the millions of hours have spent rocking and cuddling with my little man at night. I always said the time would come when he would let us know when he was ready to put himself to bed in his crib. Well he has been telling us loud and clear the past few weeks. He had just started fighting sleep more an more every night with me and so I had lunch with some friends, and talked to his doctor while I was there all in the same day and so on Wednesday I came home on a mission ready to put my baby in his bed and let him fall asleep on his own. I pictured it taking us hours of listening to crying to get him to sleep. Our routine has always been: dinner, bath, brush teeth, pajamas, downstairs to play, cup, upstairs to go night night! the only change is instead of laying down with him in my bed, we go to his room and read a book and sing a song and turn out the lights and say good night. The first night he cried hard for about 2 mins and then whined for about 4. By minute 6, he was OUT. The second night we were rocking and reading a book and he reached for the bed so I said good night and left. He cried for about 30 seconds and by minute 1 he was OUT! The third night he reached for the bed again and when i put him in the bed he laid his head down and closed his eyes... not a peep! Tonight he got up out of my lap when I was reading his book and tried to climb in his crib. So I put him in and said our good night.. not a peep!! I have known for a while he has needed it but didn't really know how to go about it because I thought I had "missed the threshold" and it would be too hard. But Praise God!! he has done great and we haven't had a fuss about going to bed and it makes me feel so much better and I know it makes him feel so much better too. WHEW HEW!

Yay for Julian!!

No comments: