Thursday, July 29, 2010

Knee Recovery

It has been 41 days since surgery.  Thas is 6 weeks today I guess.  I had my first post surgery appointment 10 days after surgery and since then, I have worried, worried, worried, waited, wodered, etc...  I needed an apointment every week I think just for some confirmation that everything was on schedule and everything was ok.  It hasn't been the funnest summer for me or for my son or Jerry or my mom.  They have all given their whole lives pretty much to help me and to take care of me.  And for that I have no idea how to thank them for that gift.  They are the only reason I am not depressed and crying everyday.  (even though i do have my days)  It's a horrible feeling being so helpless.  This summer has definitely given me a different perpspective on thing.  Being so active, it is very difficult sitting back and letting others do everything for you.  So I finally had another doctors appointment Tuesday 7/27 and I was reassured that everything is normal and i'm not going to just have a stump leg for the rest of my life.  He is confident that with a lot of hard work, I should be back to normal.  I really just wanted to know that I would be able to drive in 2 weeks for our first day of school.  He couldn't guarantee that but I started PT yesterday the 28th and I understood quickly what he meant by HARD work.  At first my PT will be in the water and I guess I will work my way to land things like walking and the bike and things.  It's hard sitting there and watching the look on the PT's face when she sees my scar and sees how far i CAN'T bend my knee.  My doctors goal is for me to be able to bend my knee 90 degrees in 6 weeks.  Yesterday I could bend it 25 degrees with the PT pushing hard and me almost screaming.  So I have a lot of hard work for the next 6 weeks.  Prayers appreciated!!    "with God all things are possible"

1 comment:

sowlee said...

Your ma is a good lady. A real good lady. Sorry to hear about your slow recovery. You'll be doing all that junk in half the time though, you're such a hyper hypo about physical fitness. Don't turn into a bawl bag on me- if one of the toughest girls I know gets emotional, I know things are bad!